Under AS1428.1-2009 Clause 12, handrails shall be designed to comply with the following:
- The cross-section of the handrail must be circular or elliptical, with a height & width of not less than 30mm or greater than 50mm for 270° around the uppermost surface. The horizontal axis on elliptical handrail must be the axis with the greater dimension. Click to view Moddex Compliance Tip on 270° clearance.
- The top of the handrail must be not less than 865mm or greater than 1000mm from the nosing of a stair or the plane of the finished floor level on a ramp, walkway or landing.
- The height of the top of the handrail must be consistent throughout the ramp, stair & landings.
- A clearspace between a handrail & an adjacent wall or other obstruction must not be less than 50mm. A clearspace of 600mm is also required above the top of the handrail.
- Handrails are to have no obstruction to the passage of a hand along the rail.
Please note that there are more requirements stated under Clause 12 and that the above list is only a small selection of them.
The comparison below shows the requirements detailed in AS1428.1-2009 Clause 12 versus the Moddex Assistrail AR150 system.